Recovery is a way of life. Treatment programs and rehabs aren’t the ends of sobriety, they’re a jumping-off point. During these programs, you get to the root of your addiction and learn the coping skills needed to be sober. After you leave treatment, the work doesn’t stop. Maintaining sobriety requires your attention daily.
At Laguna View Detox, we know the above mentioned can sound daunting. We want to let you know that although working at your sobriety daily may sound like a chore, it’s not at all. There are simple habits you can incorporate into your daily routine that help make staying sober feel effortless. During treatment, we’re here to set you up for success. Our facility puts a huge emphasis on aftercare which helps you achieve healthy habits to bring home with you.
Being Structured in Sobriety
Eliminating the toxic environment that helped fuel your addiction is super important when building structure in your life. Generally speaking, addicts live a life of complete chaos. The anxiety behind potentially running out of money, not knowing if you’ll be able to score drugs or alcohol, and hiding your behavior from loved ones, makes it nearly impossible to live a balanced, structured life.
Once you achieve sobriety, you’ll want to remove the chaos from your life. By adding structure to your day, perhaps implementing a morning and evening routine, you’ll feel in control of your life.
Healthy Habits to Adopt
Although the word habit can have a negative connotation, it’s actually a positive thing in the context of this discussion. Below are some of our recommendations of healthy habits you can pick up in sobriety:
- Exercise: Your mental and physical health are directly related. Not only does exercising benefit you physically, it has a positive effect on your mental health as well. Exercise can prevent serious health conditions such as obesity and diabetes while relieving stress. Working out can also be fun. You can do it alone or with a friend, you can exercise in a gym or outside, and it’s something you can do every day.
- Meditation: Meditation is a great tool to use to clear your head and remain calm. Addicts often struggle with anxiety and feel the need to get out of their own heads. Using meditation, instead of drugs, will rid your mind of any worry or negative thoughts. You can meditate on your own or download an app on your phone, such as Headspace.
- Honesty: This may sound like a weird one but lying can be habitual, as well as being honest. Being honest with yourself and anyone around you is very freeing. For example, if a friend does something that bothers you, you should let them know. If you aren’t honest you can start to resent them and feel angry. Having resentments is like being on the fast track to relapse.
- Fun: Learning how to have fun in sobriety will help you feel confident in your choice to get sober. Everyone deserves to have fun and drugs and alcohol are definitely not needed to do so. Whether you realize it or not, having fun is a choice. Putting an emphasis on doing at least one fun thing a week can make a huge difference in your happiness, which ultimately helps keep you sober.
- Generosity: Give back in sobriety! This doesn’t have to be done in a monetary way, you can give someone your time, which is very generous. There is probably at least one person who was generous to you during your sobriety, so why not pay it forward? Some ways to be generous are volunteering at a local organization, coaching a little league team, and tutoring someone for free.
Laguna View Detox is Here for You
At Laguna View Detox, we provide a luxury drug & alcohol treatment program that is set in the gorgeous area of Laguna Beach, CA. Our trained professionals offer detox & inpatient treatment program for both addiction and drug abuse. We strive to help all of our participants find ways to not just get sober but stay clean as well. We do this using a unique luxury program that marries traditional treatment with innovative therapies. We have discovered that this is helpful in assisting our participants in beating substance abuse permanently. To find out more about our addiction recovery services, please contact us today!