Alcohol may not seem like a risky substance, given its legality and common consumption at celebratory events and in social settings. However, there are several signs associated with alcoholic behavior indicative of a serious problem, one that you shouldn’t avoid.
Nearly thirty million people ages 12 and up struggle with an alcohol addiction. The high rate of availability and social acceptance of alcohol and alcoholic behavior increases the risk of developing an addiction and decreases the likelihood of getting help when someone with a legitimate problem might be referred to as “the life of the party” or “a really fun person.”
Understanding key alcoholism symptoms and other red flags can make it easier to determine when you or someone close to you needs help.
Signs of Alcohol Addiction
Signs of alcohol addiction can be behavioral, psychological, or even physical. Signs and symptoms can look different from one person to the next, but in general, you might consider help if you meet the following:
- You find yourself unable to stop drinking once you start, even if you go out with the intention of just having one drink or staying home with the intention of just having one glass of wine
- You regularly struggle with withdrawal symptoms, commonly known as a hangover, and you end up drinking more to make those symptoms go away
- You spend most of your time, energy, and money drinking, obtaining drinks, or recovering from drinking
- You neglect personal or professional responsibilities because of drinking, like coming into work late habitually or forgetting to pick up your children from school because of a hangover
- You have experienced injury or harm because of your behavior, like getting into a car accident, falling down the stairs, or contracting an STD because of risky sexual behavior
- You spend money intended for bills and other legitimate purchases on alcohol, causing problems at home
- Your friends or family have mentioned that your alcoholic behavior is impacting them, and it’s a problem
- You have gotten into legal trouble or financial strain as a result of alcohol abuse, like a DUI
- You are experiencing relationship problems as a result of alcoholic behavior with your partner, spouse, children, or even close friends
- You have tried to stop, but you can’t do it no matter how hard you try
- You are aware that alcohol abuse is impacting your life in a negative way, but you still can’t or won’t stop
If you notice any of these symptoms, especially if you notice several of them, it’s important that you consider professional help from a treatment facility that specializes in medication-assisted detox services and comprehensive residential care.
Why You Shouldn’t Ignore Alcoholism Symptoms
Even minor signs of alcohol addiction can point to the potential for a much larger problem. Without treatment, alcoholic behavior can quickly become alcohol abuse, a serious illness that has mental and physical health ramifications.
Short Term Risks
Alcoholic behavior has several short-term risks:
- Increased risk of car accidents, falls, burns, and drownings
- Increased violence, including partner violence and suicide
- Alcohol poisoning
- Risky sexual activities like unprotected sex with multiple partners
- Miscarriage or stillbirths for pregnant women
Long Term Risks
There are long-term risks if you ignore alcohol abuse too:
- Alcohol addiction
- Social problems like unemployment or family issues
- Mental health problems, namely anxiety or depression
- Memory problems
- Weakened immune system
- High blood pressure
- Liver disease
- Heart disease
- Digestive issues
Get Help for Alcoholic Behavior with Laguna View Detox
With Laguna View Detox, we offer addiction treatment in California for those struggling with alcohol abuse. With our facility, you can start with alcohol detox services. Alcohol comes with a serious risk of withdrawal symptoms that can cause health complications like hallucinations and delirium tremens.
As a certified Orange County drug detox center, we can offer FDA-approved medication-assisted treatment (MAT) for alcohol abuse. As a premier treatment center, we ease you into the rest of your ongoing residential care. With residential care, you can tackle signs of alcohol addiction no matter their severity.
We have professionals available at all hours to ensure you receive optimum care. With a range of therapies, clients can benefit from personalized treatment with education, individual therapy, group therapy, and family programs that are essential to recovery. With ongoing support and aftercare, we encourage recovery long term.
Laguna View is here for you. If you are noticing signs of alcohol addiction, call us now to learn more.